Who we are
PARC represents the University of Bristol’s cross-disciplinary commitment to championing transformation in research and partnership to advance Africa’s achievement of its own aspirations. Established in January 2020, PARC is funded by the Perivoli Foundation.
PARC’s core mission is to help advance a shift in the global science and research ecosystem to ensure that African knowledges, scholars and institutions take their rightful place in knowledge production. A vital step to this end is to redress the historically rooted, multi-layered power imbalances in global North-Africa academic partnerships and collaborations. We will work to envision, model and champion the embedding of such a transformed mode of prosecuting research with(in) Africa. In this effort, we reflect the University of Bristol’s wider culture of alternative thinking, activism, and commitment to social justice.
What does success look like? A transformed approach to Africa research and partnership framed and promoted for, and yielding wide adoption and application in practice.
What we do
- connects people and constituencies who are invested in the generation and use of knowledge to accomplish Africa’s priority agendas
- catalyses and hosts interdisciplinary inquiry, practice and learning committed to mutual respect and inclusion
Our work spans four focus areas:
- Inquiry and thought-leadership on transforming research partnerships
- Capstone research programmes
- Mutual capacity strengthening
- Community of interest
Read more about the Centre’s work.